Rich Tomato Vegetable Soup to Keep You Warm and Keep Away the Munchies
Don’t get discouraged by the list of ingredients! All these tastes mix together just right. I estimate that you can get the vegetables chopped and ready in about 15 minutes.
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 small head broccoli diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 bunch Kale stems removed and leaves chopped
- 4 c vegetable broth
- 4 c chicken stock If vegetarian, add 4 additional cups of vegetable broth instead of the chicken stock
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup plus one can water
- 1 pkt onion soup mix
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- salt to taste
- water to make 4 quarts soup
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in the bottom of 6 quart heavy stock pot over medium high heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until onions start to brown and get tender, about 5 minutes. At minute number 4, add the garlic and sauté.
Reduce heat to medium and add all the additional ingredients: broccoli, celery, carrots, kale, cream of mushroom soup, vegetable broth, chicken stock, onion soup mix, pepper and add salt to taste.
Bring soup to a boil, reduce to simmer and let it continue simmering for about an hour. The whole house will smell good and the soup tastes delicious.
Instead of reaching for those cute and delicious bite-sized candy bars that you’ve been hiding in your cupboard, make a big pot of this soup and enjoy a cup or two! It will be much more satisfying and help you keep from snacking on those high calorie candies.
Bonus: Join me in my Free Facebook Group: Homeschool Christian Mom for time-saving tips!