Looking for a soft, melt-in-your-mouth cookie? Try these amazing molasses cookies that are sure to bring smiles to all.
Yield: about 40 cookies
Prep time: 15 minutes plus 30 minutes in the refrigerator
Cooking time: 10 minutes
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup additional granulated sugar to roll the formed cookies in, before baking
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy; about 3 minutes. Add in egg, vanilla and molasses. Mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon and ginger. Slowly add dry ingredients to the shortening mixture and mix until just combined.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a small cookie scoop (1 tablespoon), roll dough into balls and then roll into the granulated sugar to coat.
- Place dough ball 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Put in refrigerator for 30 minutes to cool before baking. When you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake cookies in preheated oven for 6 minutes in top half of oven. Check. Turn pan. Bake for 4 more minutes. Check. If they look almost done, they are done. You don’t want to overcook these or they will get too hard. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets for about 2 minutes. Remove the cookies to a wire rack or wooden cutting board to cool completely.
These delicious cookies smell so good while they are baking, making the whole house ready for this nice treat. Enjoy!
Click here for easy print version.